To Sunday, June 10, 2018
Outdoor Leader Skills for the Boy Scout Outdoor Program
Saturday 06-09-2018 2:00 PM to Sunday 6-10-2018 2:00 PM
Saturday 10-06-2018 2:00 PM to Sunday 10-07-2018 2:00 PM
Camp Big Timber, Elgin
Required for: Scoutmasters, Ass’t.Scoutmasters, and Crew Advisers
Recommended for: Troop and Crew Committee Members, Charter Org. Reps., Webelos Leaders, Cubmasters/ Assistant Cubmasters and Pack Committee Members interested in learning basic outdoor camping skills for the Boy Scout Program.
This course will satisfy the requirements for all Scoutmasters/ Assistant Scoutmasters to be certified as “Trained” in Outdoor Leader Skills. This course is designed as an introductory course. It is recommended for those wishing to take Wood Badge training.
Participants are required to stay overnight as a part of this course.
IOLS Course Description:
Emphasis will be placed upon learning the following skills:
- Campsite Selection: Basics; Tent and Bag Specifications
- Cooking and Sanitation: Prep; Storage; Meal Planning
- Fires, Stoves, Campfires: Equipment; Safety; Campfire Planning
- Interfaith Services: Inclusion; Incorporation at Camp-outs
- Outdoor Ethics: Leave No Trace; Tread Lightly!; Outdoor Code
- Packing and Hiking: Proper Gear; Packing Techniques
- Plant and Animal ID: Native and Invasive Species; Tracking
- Map and Compass: Basics; GPS; Geo cache
- Ropes and Knots: Whipping; Tying; Lashing
- Woods Tools: Pocketknife; Camp Saw; Ax; Proper Care and Use; Whittling Chip
Note: Packs and Webelos Den overnighters require a leader that has completed a different course called Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO).