To Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 05:00pm
Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills - Registration - https://scoutingevent.com/127-IOLSon8182017atcbt
Emphasis will be placed upon learning the following skills:
- Campsite Selection; Basics;Older Scout to Younger Scout Communication
- Leave No Trace Camping; Outdoor Ethics;Outdoor Code;Tread Lightly!
- Ropes: Whipping, Tying & Lashing;
- Woods Tools: Knife, Camp Saw, and Axe;Tips; Cleaning;Sharpening;Safety
- Finding Your Way: Map & Compass Reading;
- Plant Identification; Native and Poisonous species
- Animal Identification;Tracking;Identification
- Fires Site Selection & Building; Equipment; Campfires;Safety
- Cooking; Equipment; Meals; Storage; Clean-up
- Backpacking & Hiking Techniques: Right Gear; Packs & Footwear; Safety
Outdoor Leader Skills for Boy Scout and Webelos Leaders
Recommended attendees include Scoutmasters/Ass’t.Scoutmasters, Varsity Coaches, Crew Advisers, Troop and Crew Committee Members, Organizational Representatives, Webelos Leaders, Cubmasters, Assistant Cubmasters, Pack Committee Members or anyone interested in learning basic outdoor camping skills.
Satisfactory course completion is required for the Webelos Den Leader Award. Webelos Den overnighters require a leader that has completed this course be in attendance at an overnighter.
Satisfactory completion of this course is required for all Scoutmasters/Assistant Scoutmasters to be certified as “Trained”.
It is recommended for those wishing to take Wood Badge training.
Please remember this course is designed as an introductory course.
Friday, August 18th - August 19th, 2017
Mandatory attendance both days
Camp Big Timber,
37W955 Big Timber Rd., Elgin, 60124
Cost: $35.00 / person